How about ae... [wiped old shit and stopped making more new shit, late is better than never]

[Copy the Link] Views:400 | Replies:1
Post on February 28,2017 15:57#1

everything costs

Report a Post Quote Reply
Post on March 14,2017 23:47#2

A rather large problem,  you're running a pump drawing 1.5 amps with a 1.5amp power supply. A BIG no no. To run something drawing 1.5 amps I's be looking at something no less than 3 amps output, even more if possible.

Manufacturers of electrical goods tend to understate the amperage required for their units and manufacturers of power supplies tend to overstate the output of their units.

To run something with a power supply of equal amperage is asking for trouble. The power supply will be running at maximum output, all the time.  A dangerous way to work. Things will overheat quickly and will more than likely burn out and depending on how it's designed plus it could well damage whatever it's powering should it decide to blow and when this happens there's always a possibility of fire.  Plus using something such as this will NOT supply sufficient current to the pump and this would cause it to run slower than it should and thereby deliver less air.

It's always a common procedure to run at least double the capacity at such low requirements.  If something needs 20 amps to run the the power supply would need 25 to 30 amps, personally I'd go for 30 amps.  But for 1.5 amps I'd recommend a 3 or even 4 amp supply. 

I use a 30 amp continuous supply with my 10 amp air pump and it's been used many times and sometimes for long periods and even it gets quite warm to the touch. Yes the smaller power supply is cheaper, BUT consider the cost of replacing it and possibly the pump as well. 1.5amp power supplies aren't known for safety measures due to overheating or short circuiting.

If I had to buy a power supply to power a 1.5amp air pump I definitely wouldn't recommend a wall type plug pack even if it's a 3amp supply. I'd recommend the Charsoon 12V 120W 10A AC/DC Power Adapter Switching Power Supply or similar.  I've had one on my workbench for around 3 years and it's used for dozens of different reasons, it hasn't let me down yet. Don't forget, you're not always using your air pump, so it will be handy for other jobs.

So choose your power supply wisely and to offer another tip, if you can afford it I'd definitely recommend a pump with a reserve tank. This will give you far superior air flow and you won't be worried about it varying. Plus the pump won't be operating continually therefore helping it run cooler. I started out using a stand alone air pump and to be honest I would never go back to it, the tank version gives far more professional results. It did cost more, but it's well worth the investment and it will give you the satisfaction of doing a much better job.

Just a few tips worth considering.  Good luck and good painting.   Stu

Report a Post Quote Reply
Subject:
Subject:
Question Topic: